16 April 2011

Turmoil and Hope for Swaziland

Faithful readers,

This blog posting should read like an apology posting. I fell off the blog-o-sphere sometime back in November. A combination of tumultuous times and personal achievements marked my sad blogging demise. I learned what it is to fall hard in the small Kingdom of Swaziland, realizing that it was not my imagination making me think that everyone knew what was happening- Swaziland really is that small.

I am reminded of the commonality of the human experience with the tumultuous and hopeful times that Swaziland is going through. I have been virtually glued to the computer with my hourly updates from the Swaziland Solidarity Network as the labour unions called for country wide democracy protests in the spirit of Egypt and Libya. The protests were called off after two days of country wide protest and violent clashes.

I was fortunate enough to attend a talk given by a Swazi human rights lawyer, Thulani Maseko, at Amnesty International, Ottawa office, on the 12th April. Speaking with a 'fellow' Swazi so far from home hits home for me how involved I am in legal reform in Swaziland and just how small the world is. I also realize that I am rather moderately opinion-ed regarding violence as a tool for democratic change. My concerns are with the safety of the average Swazi.

If you get a chance, take a look at this statement from Amnesty International and send away the pressure letter to Swaziland Prime Minister, Dr. Barnabas Sibusiso Dlamini.

No comments:

Post a Comment